Pretty fucked up IMO

Post your opinions on everything under the sun here... plus any freaky pics or topics that you come across!

Moderators: Devon, Admin Team

actifzoe
SAO Junkie

Pretty fucked up IMO

Postby actifzoe » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:16 pm

Man gets 30 days in jail for drunk-driving death

COASTAL MONMOUTH BUREAU • June 10, 2009

BELMAR — Five days after the drunken driver of a yellow Corvette slammed into Christopher Nowak July 12 — and continued to drive for nearly a mile, with Nowak's head lodged in the front windshield and his feet jammed in the rear window, and with his blood seeping into the car — his parents received a letter.

Their 22-year-old son had been accepted into an electrical apprenticeship program. He had waited four years for that opportunity, his father said.

Mark Rich, 53, of Neptune, originally had been charged with vehicular homicide, a charge that carries a maximum of 10 years in prison. But a grand jury last year refused to indict him.

Instead, the case was remanded to municipal court, where Rich pleaded guilty last week to driving while intoxicated. Judge Dennis Lavender on Wednesday sentenced him to the maximum — 30 days in jail. But a grand jury found he was not criminally responsible for Christopher Nowak's death because Nowak was intoxicated, too, that night, with a blood alcohol content of .26 and cocaine in his system, Rich's attorney, Mitchell J. Ansell said. And Nowak was staggering in the middle of Route 35, wearing dark clothing at 11:30 on a Saturday night.

"Christopher Nowak tragically put himself in a place he should not have been, and that's what led to his death," Ansell said. "This was nothing more than a tragic accident."

Rich hit Nowak so hard that the victim's shoe flew into the air and later was found atop a two-story building, Stephen G. Schueler, municipal prosecutor said. And the intersection at Eighth Avenue is well lit enough that Rich should have known he hit a 220-pound man, not a seagull, as he claimed he originally thought, Schueler said.

"What I'm hearing from the defense is it's Chris Nowak's fault," Lavender said. ""What was he doing in that roadway?' It's not Chris Nowak's fault, Mr. Rich, it's your fault."

In fact, Lavender said, the sentence he imposed was too light. "But my hands are tied," he said.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

This happened about 2 miles from where I live and I firmly agree with the statement: "And the intersection at Eighth Avenue is well lit enough that Rich should have known he hit a 220-pound man, not a seagull, as he claimed he originally thought, Schueler said."

As a matter of fact, the intersection is huge.

:|

the key to happiness is to stop giving a fuck.
Space Lion
The Snake Moderator

Postby Space Lion » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:53 pm

Ok that is fucked up.  It reminds me of a case here several years ago.  A woman hit a drunk homeless man.  His head and shoulders went through the windshield.  Not only did she not stop she drove home, parked her car in the garage and went in and went to bed.  Some ten hours later she finally called the police.  According to the medical examiner the guy had only died an hour or so before the woman finally called the police.
Nosie little fucker aren't you!
bassbob
Rock Soldier.
Rock Soldier.

Re: Pretty fucked up IMO

Postby bassbob » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:25 pm

Drunk driving ( and cellphone/texting while driving, but that's another story) should be punishable by a $10,000 fine for the first offense, with mandatory one year in jail for second offense without extraordinary circumstances ( like killing someone).  Cases like this, I believe warrant a life sentence.  Drugs and alcohol ( not that I am against these things in moderation) is NEVER a reasonable excuse for anything, particularly being under the influence while driving.  I don't care if you want to kill yourself, but you do not have the right to endanger other innocent (relatively  :) ) people.
If you play a Nickelback CD backwards you get Satanic messages.  Even worse, if you play it forward you get Nickelback music.
actifzoe
SAO Junkie

Postby actifzoe » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:05 pm

AGREED!!!!
The Anti-Crisst
Newbie Killing Administrator
Newbie Killing Administrator
Location: Paradise City, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty.

Postby The Anti-Crisst » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:39 pm

I want the punishment for driving while using a mobile to be as such; the police take the idiot's phone and stamp on it til it's fucked.

Hey, then at least they can't break the law again, right? XD But if they buy another phone and get caught again... this time, they have to watch as their car goes thru a crusher. :evillaugh

This year, I'm going to join our American cousins and celebrate Thanksgiving the old fashioned way. By which I mean I'm going to invite all my neighbours round for an enormous feast, kill them all and then take their land.

ImageImageImage

RIP Rocker And Legend. 1974 - 2008. Friend And Karaoke King.
actifzoe
SAO Junkie

Postby actifzoe » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:07 pm

you have my vote!

Return to “Freaky Opinions”