Mr. Speed at Indy Expo

Bash, trash or worship - we don't care! =)

Moderators: Devon, Admin Team

jaybyrd
"TROUBLE WALKIN" Moderator

Mr. Speed at Indy Expo

Postby jaybyrd » Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:25 pm

I wasn't impressed, they mentioned from the stage that they had been together for 11 years, but they sounded more like 11 days. Granted they were performing songs that they usually didn't do but they were really choppy. They even got the lyrics wrong on some songs. Still it was cool to hear songs KISS never does live played so I give them an "A" for effort. Hotter Than Hell is my fav album and they did several songs from it, not the ones I really wanted to hear, but still.... I would have loved to hear "Got to Choose" and "Let Me Go, Rock and Roll". Those 2 songs are the best 2 songs KISS ever did in IMHO. But they went with "Strange Ways" and "All The Way". They really shined when Bruce Kulick got on stage with them, but it was easy to tell that Bruce didn't think much of it. He rolled his eyes at some mistakes and mockingly rocked back and forth in unison with them when they did that signature manuver, giggleing as if it was the stupidest thing he'd ever done.

They gave a shout out to Paul Helms for showing up and when they mentioned KISS ARMY I gave a big WHOOP to let them know some of us had seen a truely great tribute band in the past.

I felt for "JOE" their "ACE", when he climbed off the stage to let Bruce play he was appologizing for his performance to the rest of the band, he truley seemed ambarassed by his own performance, but inspite of his mistakes onstage he seemed to put the most effort into it out of the whole band.

In short I was expecting more from a band that knew they would be playing in front of a room full of real KISS fans but what I saw was more comparable to when I saw STRUTTER in a room with 10 people here in the top 40 hell town I live in.

SpaceAce28106
We Got Your Rock

Re: Mr. Speed at Indy Expo

Postby SpaceAce28106 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:32 pm

jaybyrd wrote:I wasn't impressed, they mentioned from the stage that they had been together for 11 years, but they sounded more like 11 days. Granted they were performing songs that they usually didn't do but they were really choppy. They even got the lyrics wrong on some songs. Still it was cool to hear songs KISS never does live played so I give them an "A" for effort. Hotter Than Hell is my fav album and they did several songs from it, not the ones I really wanted to hear, but still.... I would have loved to hear "Got to Choose" and "Let Me Go, Rock and Roll". Those 2 songs are the best 2 songs KISS ever did in IMHO. But they went with "Strange Ways" and "All The Way". They really shined when Bruce Kulick got on stage with them, but it was easy to tell that Bruce didn't think much of it. He rolled his eyes at some mistakes and mockingly rocked back and forth in unison with them when they did that signature manuver, giggleing as if it was the stupidest thing he'd ever done.

They gave a shout out to Paul Helms for showing up and when they mentioned KISS ARMY I gave a big WHOOP to let them know some of us had seen a truely great tribute band in the past.

I felt for "JOE" their "ACE", when he climbed off the stage to let Bruce play he was appologizing for his performance to the rest of the band, he truley seemed ambarassed by his own performance, but inspite of his mistakes onstage he seemed to put the most effort into it out of the whole band.

In short I was expecting more from a band that knew they would be playing in front of a room full of real KISS fans but what I saw was more comparable to when I saw STRUTTER in a room with 10 people here in the top 40 hell town I live in.

they did paly got to choose....i'm pretty sure the second day. And Joe did put a lot of effort into it more then some of them but they try...and alot of those songs were the first ime playing them they could use a little practice but i still give them credit for trying and everyone does make mistakes.
live life like your gonna die tomorrow...you never know you always could..SO ROCK AND ROLL ALL NIGHT and PARTY EVERYDAY!
SpaceAce28106
We Got Your Rock

Re: Mr. Speed at Indy Expo

Postby SpaceAce28106 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:36 pm

kissacefan1978 wrote:
jaybyrd wrote:I wasn't impressed, they mentioned from the stage that they had been together for 11 years, but they sounded more like 11 days. Granted they were performing songs that they usually didn't do but they were really choppy. They even got the lyrics wrong on some songs. Still it was cool to hear songs KISS never does live played so I give them an "A" for effort. Hotter Than Hell is my fav album and they did several songs from it, not the ones I really wanted to hear, but still.... I would have loved to hear "Got to Choose" and "Let Me Go, Rock and Roll". Those 2 songs are the best 2 songs KISS ever did in IMHO. But they went with "Strange Ways" and "All The Way".

The set list was very good, maybe they just needed to practice those songs more (I think it was the first time they had played many of them?) In addition to the songs Jay listed, they also played: Talk To Me, Two Sides Of the Coin, I, COTN, Room Service, Master and Slave, and....... well I can't remember it all LOL. Paul got some clips of them on video so I can post links to those later on maybe.

jaybyrd wrote:They really shined when Bruce Kulick got on stage with them, but it was easy to tell that Bruce didn't think much of it. He rolled his eyes at some mistakes and mockingly rocked back and forth in unison with them when they did that signature manuver, giggleing as if it was the stupidest thing he'd ever done.

Yep, LOL, but I give him credit for doing it. Afterall, his bitter brother Bob refused to play with Paul's band and NY Kiss Army is 10x better than Mr. Speed :shock:

jaybyrd wrote:They gave a shout out to Paul Helms for showing up and when they mentioned KISS ARMY I gave a big WHOOP to let them know some of us had seen a truely great tribute band in the past.

That was so cool of them! They also shouted out to the "familar faces" they met in Chicago last year when they played - which was me and my friend Kelly so that made us smile :)

jaybyrd wrote:I felt for "JOE" their "ACE", when he climbed off the stage to let Bruce play he was appologizing for his performance to the rest of the band, he truley seemed ambarassed by his own performance, but inspite of his mistakes onstage he seemed to put the most effort into it out of the whole band.

I think Joe was REALLY nervous that night!

haha lol yeah joe was nervous...i noticed it.I wish he could have gotten to paly with bruce though. I for one like dthere set list though.... it was different and i'm glad they didn't play the kiss songs the most people have heard of.And hotter then hell is one of my favorite albums too some i'm glad they did alot from there like Mainline and All the way.
live life like your gonna die tomorrow...you never know you always could..SO ROCK AND ROLL ALL NIGHT and PARTY EVERYDAY!
jaybyrd

Postby jaybyrd » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:51 pm

I have all the respect in the world for em but they could have done much better for a band that has been together for 11 years. And I'm sorry but they DIDN"T play Got to Choose, it's my #2 fav KISS tune and I would have noticed, I was there for both nights from song 1 to the last. BTW "Let Me Go, Rock and Roll" is my fav tune of all time. Ace's lead work on that song is unlike anything from any other rock song ever. It's like rockabilly in a timewarp.
SpaceAce28106
We Got Your Rock

Postby SpaceAce28106 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:18 pm

jaybyrd wrote:I have all the respect in the world for em but they could have done much better for a band that has been together for 11 years. And I'm sorry but they DIDN"T play Got to Choose, it's my #2 fav KISS tune and I would have noticed, I was there for both nights from song 1 to the last. BTW "Let Me Go, Rock and Roll" is my fav tune of all time. Ace's lead work on that song is unlike anything from any other rock song ever. It's like rockabilly in a timewarp.

i dunno maybe i'm wrong...but i could have sworn they played it....i'm almost certain...but oh well...anyone else know if they palyed it??
jaybyrd

Postby jaybyrd » Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:41 pm

spaceacepaulie wrote:
jaybyrd wrote:I have all the respect in the world for em but they could have done much better for a band that has been together for 11 years.

I for one would not say how long the band has been together lol. I talked with the guys and they seemed pretty cool, cheers.

Ha, Ha, Well I wouldn't give away secrets but they bragged about 11 years together from the stage sooooooo...... They were OK but KISS ARMY they ain't!!!!!! Damn you Paulie for putting on sucha good show in Orlando, you and your band mates ruined me for all other tribute bands.

Ya know some day Gene and Paul are gonna finally hang it up and it will fall on folks like you and Jim to keep the legend Alive,,,, so KISS AND MAKE UP ALREADY!!!!! KISS ARMY was better than what is currently calling itself KISS now anyway.

Return to “Tribute Bands”