And the reviews are in

Ace fans gather and talk in that special Jendellian language =)

Moderators: Devon, Admin Team

KiwiPete
Ozone

And the reviews are in

Postby KiwiPete » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:26 pm

My review... WOW

I headed straight to Rock n Roll Hell (I'll end up there anyway) :lol:

Amazing. Enough to erase the memory of Gene's "vocals"
The whole thing just rocks.
Haven't hear the whole thing yet, but everything so far destroys recent Kiss material.
I bet Gene is falling over himself to appear on Vol 2, just so he can have his name on a hit album.
This deserves every success.

Amazon reviews so far:

Just picked it up today, it's awesome. Way better the anything that KISS has done in a long time. If you are a KISS fan or a Ace fan pick it up you won't be disappointed.

Any new album that delivers straight up rock & roll by the Spaceman is good news for Ace Frehley fans. There are three KISS covers on here, which is a real treat. Ace has been singing Cold Gin and Parasite on his solo tours for years, so it's great to get the studio versions. The big surprise here is Rock & Roll Hell (I would have expected Detroit Rock City, which Ace also sings sometimes during his solo gigs). As KISS fans know, Rock & Roll Hell originally appeared on Creatures of the Night, a superb KISS album that was recorded with a number of studio lead guitarists as Ace was in the process of leaving the band. The song's lyrics could be about a guy like Ace, so it's only fitting that he recorded it here.
Fire & Water delivers an excellent guest vocal by non other than Paul Stanley of KISS. Whenever you have at least two members of KISS on one track, it's essentially a KISS song in my book. I wish they would do more of this stuff. KISS is great.
I'll leave it up to others to review the album's remaining songs, etc. All I can say is, I like it more with every listen.

Ace Frehley's new solo album is guitar heaven. The solos traded back & forth by Ace & Slash during the Thin Lizzy classic Emerald make this album well worth buying. Are you a fan of Ace's playing? Well then this album is well worth buying.

The Spaceman is still kicking ass! Ace Frehley never disappoints!

Love Ace! This cd is chock full with heavy old school guitar. Interesting song selection makes for a covers album you will play more than once, and Ace's guitar playing is fantastic. The guests all knock it out of the park, honestly there is no filler. Even "Wild Thing" which has been played to death had me rocking. Any fan of KISS, Ace, or hard rock guitar music needs to have this.

and one grumpy asshole:

Let me preface this by saying I have been a Kiss fan since 1973 and was playing air guitar to his solo on "Getaway" before most people reading this were even born. I consider Ace one of the most influential guitarists of a generation. I was so looking forward to this album after Ace's last release, "Space Invader". An album I gave a positive review. So...having said that.

Are all these 5 star reviews listening to the same album? The overall quality of this release is just average. Yes, Ace pulls out some good solos on "Fire & Water" and "Street Fighting Man", but his duet with Slash on "Emerald" is flat out brutal and blasphemous. Well worth buying because of "Emerald"? Have you ever heard the original. The version here shows how good and underrated Gorham and Robertson were. Ace and Slash are known to be "sloppy" in their playing. Being "non-technical" is what makes/made them special, but this just made me cringe. "Cold Gin" and "Parasite" are no where near as good as the original studio or "Alive!" versions; and can't be rescued by the presence of John 5 or the overrated Mike McCready.

I always take Ace's vocals with a grain of salt, and he does a pretty decent job here. Paul Stanley's guest vocals may be the highlight of the entire album.
The overall sound of the album is like an old Maxell Cassette tape when you flipped on the Dolby switch. Anyone old enough to remember knows what I am talking about. The high ends totally disappear and the sound gets muddy. The drums almost sound plastic and I have no idea if there even was a bass player for this album. The production here makes "Hotter Than Hell" sound like a George Martin record.

Anyway, a quick written review. You may read it once, maybe twice....about the same amount of time you'll give to this cd. I look forward to the comments and fanboy "not helpful" votes.

If you have time, go to every review site you can find & add your opinion - making sure you end with http://www.spaceaceonline.com/forum of course.

You're lucky he even performs for you BASTARDS.
LEAVE TOMMY ALONE

actifzoe
SAO Junkie

Re: And the reviews are in

Postby actifzoe » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:19 pm

'da fuck????? was that written by gene?
the key to happiness is to stop giving a fuck.
KiwiPete
Ozone

Postby KiwiPete » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:29 pm

No... he sung the early songs that Ace wrote cause Ace was too shy about his voice, so he always got one of the others to sing them.
His first released lead vocal, Shock Me, was sung lying on the floor of the studio so the Eddie Kramer couldn't watch him as he sung.

Shock.JPG
Shock.JPG (57.58 KiB) Viewed 803 times
LEAVE TOMMY ALONE

actifzoe
SAO Junkie

Postby actifzoe » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:12 pm

KiwiPete wrote:
and one grumpy asshole:

geno?
KiwiPete
Ozone

Postby KiwiPete » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:15 pm

No... it wouldn't be him.
He's too busy sucking up to Ace to be on the next album now that he realises that Ace kicks Gene's band's ass.

And in interesting news (from 2012)
:lol:

Spotify Streams Will Soon Be Included on the Billboard Charts

1,500 streams will count as a sale

Streams from music streaming services like Spotify will soon be included on the charts that rank music album sales.

Billboard and Nielsen SoundScan will begin including streams in the rankings of the Billboard 200, the album charts that are the weekly benchmark for success in the music industry, The New York Times reported Wednesday. The new ranking formula will equate 1,500 streams from an album on services like Spotify, Beats Music and Rhapsody as a sale. Online downloads of ten or more individual tracks by consumers will also be counted as an album sale.

The inclusion of more digital services will likely help move acts that appeal to younger audiences further up the charts. Legacy acts whose audiences mostly buy CDs, however, could be negatively affected.

The music charts are increasingly being influenced by online music services. Last year, Billboard announced that it would begin including music streams in its Hot 100 ranking of the most popular singles.

So I've got Origins running on repeat through Spotify on my tablet.
That should push up the numbers, if streaming is included in the charts.
LEAVE TOMMY ALONE

actifzoe
SAO Junkie

Postby actifzoe » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:39 pm

that's a good idea!
Virgo
Post Whore Extraordinaire Super-Mod

Postby Virgo » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:25 am

Overall, the album is good. I'm not a big fan of covers, but there are some gems here. Paul and Ace on "Fire and Water" is outstanding IMO, and they should record more together. The Thin Lizzy cover is heavy. Remakes of Parasite and Cold Gin are fitting. The Led Zep cover is also good.

It's great to hear Ace just having fun, really.
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench,
a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free,
and good men die like dogs.

There's also a negative side. -          Hunter S. Thompson
actifzoe
SAO Junkie

Postby actifzoe » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:06 am

It's great to see virgo just posting here, really.

Return to “The GOD Ace Frehley”